As we move into April, it looks like the current circumstances are going to continue at least until the end of April. Please be careful and do not take any unnecessary risks. At the same time, I know that the NOPD is full of heroes who are interested in providing the best possible law enforcement services even in the face of this invisible threat. I am proud of all of you.
- Civil Leave – If you were ordered by a supervisor to go home or stay home and that order is related to COVID-19, you should be carried Civil Leave. Special Order 6-2020 states that Civil Leave is available for anyone ordered to go home or stay home and if the employee is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. However, after writing an email requesting clarification, particularly about employees ordered to go home and/or stay home but not experiencing symptoms, Chief Goodly called to let me know that those employees should also be carried Civil Leave. Civil Leave does not reduce your accumulated leave. If you were ordered to go home or stay home due to concerns about COVID-19 and you were carried sick or annual, you can write a 105 through your chain of command to the Superintendent explaining that your supervisor, insert name, ordered you to go home and/or stay home relative to COVID-19 and that you had been carried sick or annual. You can then request that the Superintendent change that from sick or annual to Civil Leave.
There is a 55-gallon drum of hand sanitizer available for officers at the Smoothie King Center on the floor of the arena. The hours of availability are unknown at present. Officers should use a spray bottle, if possible. It is very liquidy.UPDATE: 4-4-20 – I have been advised that individual NOPD officers cannot go to the Smoothie King Center to refill hand sanitizer bottles.
- The FOP delivered gloves to the 8 district stations and SOD on March 31, 2020. We are expecting a shipment of surgical masks soon and we will distribute once we have them.
- BDU’s start on Sunday (4/5/20). APE is open on Airline if you need it.
- NOPD is still conducting formal administrative investigations. They are also still conducting extension hearings. It is my understanding that disciplinary hearings have been put on hold for the time being unless the officer requests that the hearing be expedited to facilitate retirement. Do not hesitate to call me about administrative statements, extension hearings, or any other issues related to the disciplinary process. I am available to assist you. PIB is also still delivering the occasional disciplinary letter. If you receive a disciplinary letter for something you want to appeal or exercise the salary reimbursement option for, please let me know.
- The FOP Legal Defense Plan is still available to you for whatever you may need. The Legal Defense Plan includes free notary services, 2 hours of legal time per year for any personal legal matter, and 4 hours of legal time per year for family law matters. Of course, any administrative investigation, whether it is for an on-duty incident or an off-duty incident is covered with no out-of-pocket expense for FOP members. Criminal investigations related to on-duty incidents are also covered with no out-of-pocket expense for FOP members. Civil matters are also covered (call me). A number of the above only apply to members of the Crescent City Lodge #2.
- The Louisiana FOP is conducting a survey relative to law enforcement officers’ experiences with COVID-19. If you have a chance to answer the survey questions, it would be helpful. It will not take long and does not collect any personal data or identifiable information. Click here to participate.
- The FOP team stands ready to assist however we can. Even if you just want someone to voice your concerns to, feel free to call. The Chiefs have been very responsive to concerns I have brought to them. I think I have spoken with either Chief Noel or Chief Goodly every day since this has started. The administration is listening. Again, don’t hesitate to call me.
- Please wash your hands for at least 20 seconds whenever possible. It is important to supplement hand sanitizer with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Try to avoid touching your face.
As I indicated above, I am available if there are any concerns you may have. The Department has made it so all property crimes without an arrest can be handled by telephone. The administration has also encouraged the use of summons whenever possible. Every close contact you have with another human being is a risk. Try to minimize your risk wherever possible.
Paul Garaudy is working alone and still assigned to the Supply Room in the basement at HQ. My brother could use some gloves and masks since he is dealing directly with Officers in the field. Perhaps some sanitizer if available. Anything you could do would be appreciated by me. He isn’t aware of my request with you.
Sent from my iPhone
Do you know Paul’s working hours?
Pingback: NOPD Update on the use of Civil Leave and COVID-19 11-Apr-2020 | Signal 108