INFORMATION BULLETIN #3
2013 POLICE SERGEANT EXAMINATION
This bulletin is intended to up-date information regarding the upcoming Police Sergeant test. Information Bulletin #1 contained the original booklist. Information Bulletin #2, released 7/22/13, contained information about the official announcement. We anticipate opening this announcement to applications for a four week period beginning in mid-August. We are planning to administer the multiple-choice test in early October. We will continue to provide additional information as it becomes available.
I. Booklist – Updates (Books are available at Delgado Bookstore)
THE FOLLOWING UPDATES APPLY TO YOUR STUDY MATERIAL. UPDATED INFORMATION FOLLOWS THE WORD NOTE.
1. NOPD Policy & Procedures Manual
RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTIRE MANUAL
NOTE: All NOPD members are responsible for all parts of the Manual and all General Orders issued but not yet incorporated into the manual (available at www.nopd.org). However, the goal of the test is to measure knowledge needed by NOPD Sergeants. Therefore, some sections of this Manual are not as likely to appear on the test (e.g., Fiscal Management, Grants).
2. Louisiana Criminal Law and Motor Vehicle Handbook (2012-13 Edition). Lexis-Nexis
RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTIRE TEXT EXCEPT TITLE 47 – (Revenue & Taxation) ($40.00)
NOTE: Much of the information in this text is available on-line. Also, there is a link to the Revised Statutes and Code of Criminal Procedures on the NOPD intra-net site. However, the on-line information does NOT include the Louisiana Legal Guidelines (on pp. LG1-LG75 in the Lexis-Nexis text) which are necessary for Sergeants to know.
3. New Orleans Municipal and Traffic Code Manual
RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTIRE MANUAL
4. Civil Service Commission Rules*
Rule 2: Section 4 (Appeals)
Rule 5: Section 9 (Substance-Abuse testing)
Rule 8: Entire rule NOTE: Except Section 2.11 on NOFD Sick Leave
Rule 9: Entire rule
A .pdf version of the Rules is available on-line at: http://new.nola.gov/civil-service/commission/rules
PDF READINGS AVAILABLE ON THE NOPD INTRANET
5. DNA in “Minor” Crimes Yields Major Benefits in Public Safety. In Short: Towards Criminal Justice Solutions. National Institute of Justice, November 2004.
6. Police Leadership Challenges in a Changing World. Batts, A.W., Smoot, S.M. & Scrivner, E. New Perspectives in Policing. National Institute of Justice, July 2012.
7. Toward a New Professionalism in Policing. New Perspectives in Policing. Stone, C. & Travis, J. National Institute of Justice, July 2012.
8. Data-Driven Policing: How Geographic Analysis Can Reduce Social Harm. Hardy, E. Geography & Public Safety. June 2010.
9. The DNA Field Experiment: Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of the Use of DNA in the Investigation of High-Volume Crimes. Roman J.K., Reid S., Reid J., Chalfin A., Adams W., & Knight C. Urban Institute Justice Policy Center. April 2008
CHAPTERS 1-3, 9 & 10 NOTE: You are NOT responsible to know the specific statistical formulae, the specifics of the operations for the five sites, or information about cost analysis. You ARE responsible for the findings of this study.
10. Delattre, E.J. (2011). Character and Cops: Ethics in Policing (6th Edition). Washington, DC: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research ($34.95)
NOTE: You are NOT responsible for Chapters 1, 2, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 18, 21 & 22, and the Appendices. You ARE responsible for everything else in this text (the remaining 12 chapters).
11. Ianonne, N. F., Ianonne, M.P., & Bernstein, J. (2013). Supervision of Police Personnel (8th Edition). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc. ($114.45)
RESPONSIBLE FOR ENTIRE TEXT
NOTE: The Preface of this text has tips on studying for a test.
12. Peak, K.J. & Glensor, R.W. (2011) Community Policing and Problem Solving: Strategies & Practices (6th Edition). ($122.20)
NOTE: You are NOT responsible for:
- The COPPS in “Small Communities” section of Chapter 13 beginning on page 278
- Chapter 14: COPPS Abroad – pp. 287-303
- The Appendix: Model Academic Curriculum for POP – pp. 318-320
You ARE responsible for everything else in this text.